Thursday, October 18, 2012

Extremely Sad and Incredibly Fantastic


                So first of all, I have to confess to a sin. A horrible book related sin. I judged a book by its movie. I know, I know. I’m a horrible person. I saw Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close in January when it came out without reading the book first. To be quite honest, I didn’t like the movie. Not in the slightest. It wasn’t successful in capturing Oskar’s unique voice and the young actor who portrayed him came off as obnoxious. The movie seemed rushed and I couldn’t understand why the book was so highly regarded.

And then on Sunday I was going through my library’s ebook collection and came across Jonathan Safran Foer’s novel and decided to give the story a second try. I fell madly in love with it. The way the story was told from the 3 perspectives of Oskar, his grandmother, and his grandfather was amazing. The language was intoxicating. And I just was completely engrossed. The use of photographs and other imagery to backup the story was also really effective. The last few pages gave me chills and there wasn’t even writing on them.

To be honest, it wasn’t Oskar’s story that had me so involved. It was the story of his grandmother and his grandfather that was even more sad than Oscar’s. Love, loss, and horrifying acts of terrorism are consistant through the novel. Even the most innocent of people can cause pain and heartache.

The book is very sad and relatable, particularly if you remember 9/11 and fully understand the sadness that came from the event. Please please PLEASE give it a shot. :)

ANYWAY THANKS FOR READING! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment