Monday, October 29, 2012

CATCHING UP!

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you guys! I have a couple little review/catch up things for you guys today.

 I finished The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood on Thursday afternoon. I had started to review it but then my boyfriend came to get me right after school so we could go see Sinister. Which, by the way, was terrifying. It wasn't so much scary as it was disturbing. But I would recommend it if you're into that sort of thing. And then I was out of town from Friday until last night at which time I began watching The Walking Dead. VERY distracting.

Anyway back to The Handmaid's Tale. It's the story of a woman named Offred (Of-Fred) and takes place in a dystopian society not too far in the future. After a (possibly staged) terrorist attack, women are forced to give up their rights and become concubines to high-society men for the purpose of reproduction. Many women at this time have become infertile due to a strain of infections and so fertile women are in high demand.

Offred is an impressive narrator. She jumps around quite a bit and it was slightly confusing towards the start so after I finished the novel I went back to review the first few chapters, just so I could be clear. Other than the confusion at first, Offred has a very honest and clear voice. The story is HER story, but it doesn't come across as conceited, if you get what I mean. It gives a clear impression of what she's feeling without seeming too whiny. I really enjoyed that. It was like she was just thinking things, and as she thought them they were put on paper. Little details were recalled and tied into her present situation. All in all, it was haunting.

I would give this book a 9/10. For it to have been a 10/10 I would have wanted to know a little bit more about Offred's past 'employers'. JUST SO YOU'RE AWARE the ending has made people unhappy in the past, however I felt it wrapped up nicely. :)

Moving on.

THURSDAY AFTERNOON I STARTED THE REALM OF POSSIBILITY BY DAVID LEVITHAN.
 
 
It was a book written in an eloquent and beautiful way. It was written in free verse poetry most of the time and it was just really unique. Every poem/chapter changed narrators, and they all tie in together. You kind of have to use context clues to see where each person/story fits in which could be confusing at times but then again, it's such a quick read that you wouldn't have too much time in between each chapter anyway. So it's quite easy to remember who is who.
 
I really liked the honesty of it. Each different poem is relatable, especially to high school students, and I really appreciated the hopeful tone of even the most depressing poems.
 
I'm a huge fan of David Levithan and would rate him a close second behind John Green on the list of my favorite authors. I would seriously beg you to give either of them a try. They're a breath of fresh air in comparison to any other YA authors.
 
 
ALSO
 
 
I re-read Revoltingly Young by CD Payne over the weekend. The Youth in Revolt series is so great. It's really funny and just so awkward that sometimes you have to just slap your forehead and cringe internally because it's just that bad. I would also recommend this series, especially the first two books. The others can sort of get repetitive but in an endearing way.
 
Anyway, that's all I have for you right now. :) Currently I'm reading Wonder by R.J. Palacio. I'll let you know how it goes. :)
 
THANKS FOR READING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment