Monday, October 22, 2012

Carrie

So yesterday after I posted, I read Stephen King's classic thriller, Carrie. I've wanted to read it for awhile and I've never seen the movie so I thought I'd give it a try. :)

Carrie Pictures, Images and Photos
All in all I thought it was decent. The story was sad and kind of scary. King has a way of taking normal daily things and making them very frightening. We've all been in the position of either the bully or victim. Sometimes things that seem harmless to say can really affect someone in a terrible way. It is absolutely not OK. Now, what if the girl you were picking on turned out to have telekenisis? And what if you set up a seemingly harmless prank at prom? What if that was the last straw?

That's the basis of Carrie. What I found to be the most sad part of the story was the characters of Sue and Tommy. They truly had the best intentions and unfortunately suffered for it in the end. That was senseless. And kind of sad.

What I didn't like about the book was the scientific aspect of it, I guess. How randomly King would place a paragraph or two out of a science journal that was just boring and took away from Carrie's story. I could have done with a little less of that, and a little more of Carrie's childhood. The book was an excellent idea that just fell a little short of spectacular. However, I will say that King did a pretty good job and the book left me a little disturbed.

I think I would have to give it a 7/10. It wasn't that bad, but like I said there were a few things that fell below my expectations.

Right now I'm reading a book called The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I'm sort of interested. It's a little weird and I'm not sure what it's getting at yet, but I'll let you know. :)

THANKS FOR READING!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment