Sunday, October 21, 2012

13 1/2

Hi guys! I finished a book this morning called 13 1/2 by Nevada Barr. I just wanted to let you guys know what I thought of it. :)
Basically, it's about a little boy named Dylan who is 11. He is charged with the brutal murder of his parents and baby sister although he has no recollection of the crime. His brother, Richard, was the sole survivor of the attack because he was at the neighbor's house. This part of the story takes place in the early sixties.

Now, fast forward to what I assume to be present day Louisiana. A woman named Polly who was introduced in the first chapter as an abused teenager living with her mother in a trailer park, has now made a life for herself and her two daughters. She meets a man named Marshall who is almost too good to be true. They are married and all seems well.

All through the story, there are flashbacks to Dylan living in a youth detention center. He doesn't remember anything from that night, all he knows is he loved his family very much. However, due to the fact that he was found covered in their blood with the murder weapon, an axe, in his hand, it's highly improbable that he didn't do it.

The thing I like about the story is it's such a mystery. You want Dylan to be innocent due to how young he is and how unlikely of a murderer he seems. However, right when you begin to think he WAS innocent, something in the story happens to leave you doubtful again.

I would give the book a solid 7/10. The only thing about it I wasn't so sure about was the way the story was told. It was told very shallowly. The dialect was very basic and the climactic scene at the end could have used a little more drama. All in all though, the book kept me engaged. :)

Also, last night was homecoming! It was a ton of fun! :)

That's all I have to say! I hope you guys had a great weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment