Monday, March 12, 2012

When I Found You

So, I FINALLY finished When I Found You by Catherine Ryan Hyde. The book revolves around Nathan and Nat. Nathan is an older gentleman in his 40s when he happens across a baby in the woods. It is late October and very cold. At first, Nathan thinks the baby is dead, until he sees him move his mouth. It is an immediate connection for Nathan, and he is determined that one day he will be a part of his life.
Nat, the baby, turns into a sullen and troubled teenager. When he is 14 years old, his grandmother decides she's had enough and drops Nat on Nathan's doorstep. Nathan vows that he will never turn his back on Nat, no matter what. Despite Nat's trouble making, Nathan never goes back on his promise.

I loved that the character of Nathan is very realistic and dimensional. His speech and actions are all reminiscent of a grandfather. He is kind, caring, and generous without being a push over. In fact, it seems that all characters over the age of 30 are believable. I'm not sure if it's because the author is older or not. However, the younger character's were not always so realistic. They seemed forced and their speech was irregular and strange. Maybe it's because I am a teenager, but I found it extremely odd.

The book overall didn't have an outstanding effect, but it didn't leave me with a negative one either. I would recommend this book if you have a lot of time on your hands or you have read books by the author and liked them. I would give the book 4/5 stars, but I probably wouldn't read it again.

Immediately after I finished When I Found You, I started Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. So far, I am in LOVEEEE with this book. It is realistic and awesome. I half expected a comedy, but it is anything but. I'm excited to review it as soon as I've finished.
(PS, the movie is coming out soon, so read it ASAP!)
Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment