Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Raising Abel

I realize that yesterday I said that I was reading Zomblog, but I'm sorry to say the book seemed to lose me. I made it over halfway through and I mentally couldn't do it anymore. There were too many names and not enough of a plot. It was zombie fight after zombie fight after zombie fight. I realize that if it were really the zombie apocolypse, this is how things would be. But does it make for a really interesting book? Not necissarily.

So, at about 4:00 pm yesterday, I picked up Raising Abel off of the EVER so wonderful site, Pixel of ink. It is told from the perspective of the author, Carolyn Nash. She gives an inside look at what it's like to adopt and raise a severely traumatized child, a boy named Abel.

The first thing that struck me is how it seemed that the author was a friend, just telling me her story. It didn't seem written, somehow. It just seemed like a conversation between good friends. I mentally and sometimes VERBALLY reacted to the things she said in her book.

THIS IS HOW YOU KNOW THAT YOU'RE READING SOMETHING REALLY IMPORTANT.

I barely have the words to describe it.

Carolyn doesn't attempt to gain any sort of sympathy, she just states the facts. She was lonely, a coworker recommended she become a foster parent, and she decides to go for it. She was completely unprepared for what would come her way. She is called almost immediately after her application is put in to go meet 3 year old Abel. A sweet, shy, caring boy who was sexually and physically abused by both of his parents.

Carolyn describes Abel in such detail, and I could practically see him in living room. I cheered along with his every triumph, and my heart ached every time he seemed to regress. This book even moved me to TEARS. That is something that never happens. It is extremely disturbing to think that this small little boy had to live through such trauma, a trauma that he never forgets.

The book follows the Nash family for 15 years, and in that time you grow with them. I walk away from this book feeling as if I have known them my whole life, and I've 'known' them for less than 24 hours! I would strongly recommend this book, but I warn you now, it is anything but a light read. It will leave you an emotional wreck, but the positive feeling that things can change with a little love far out weighs any tears that you'll shed.

150/5 STARS!

Anyway, I'm not sure what to read next! I have quite a few options. I got a 'young adult' novel off of POI today that seems pretty good, but I also purchased We Bought a Zoo. I have about 7 books in my Kindle library begging for my attention, and it's getting pretty out of control. :)

I'll talk to you guys again tomorrow! Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment