Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Oh, Dude....

It's been awhile! I did finish Scorpio Rising by Monique Domovitch a few days ago, and I figured I could do a short review for it.

There's not a lot to say, honestly. I got the book for free, so I'll try not to complain too much. I never much connected to the characters. It was, what I like to call, a SKIN DEEP novel. Superficial. I wouldn't call it bad, because I kept picking it up so I could get it finished. It managed to keep my interest for short spans of time. There were far too many things, however, going on at once for me to remain interested.

It is about aspiring architect Alex from NYC, and aspiring artist Brigitte from France. The book is all over the place, but never quite reaching the level of 'complex'. I believe that if Domovitch wrote a book just about Brigitte, it would be amazing. But somehow the character of Alex muddies up the story. I never much connected to him.

One thing I will say is the author is beyond creative. It was amazing how she searched for real-life solutions to solve her character's problems. Alex didn't simply 'recieve' a scholorship, Brigitte couldn't just 'catch a break'. No, things had to be super complicated. While at times, this was the novel's saving grace, more often than not, it was it's curse.

I will give this book 3/5 stars.

Moving on, I finished one other books this weekend. It was called Ain't No Sunshine by Leslie DuBois.
This book was....wow.
It is centered around childhood friends Stephen and Ruthie in 1960s Virginia. Stephen falls in love with and wants to marry Ruthie. The problem is, Ruthie is black, and interacial marriage is against the law. Despite all odds, they find ways to be together.
This book was SICK. Not in the good way. Not like, "Oh, dude, that book was SICK!!". More like, "Oh....dude....that book was sick. Ew.". Not that I wouldn't reccommend it, because it was a really sweet love story, but there was a wrench thrown in the story about 60% through that will leave you reeling. And then, at the end, DuBois gets your hopes up and you think that everything will be okay. But in the epilogue, all those hopes are shattered.

I'd give this book a 4/5 stars. But if you decide to read it, beware. It's a little more than strange.

I hope everyone is doing well. Sorry these reviews were vague, there just wasn't much to say about Scorpio Rising, and there isn't much you can say about Ain't No Sunshine without giving away very important details.

I don't think my next blog post will be a review, but we shall see. :)

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment