Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Never Let Me Go.

I just finished Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I'm....on the fence with this one guys. Usually I can say one way or another: I LOVED THE BOOK or EH.
But this time, I can't say. I was very into it in the beginning. I really liked the tone. I liked all of the characters. I thought that the whole thing was a little off (never expecting, however, how right I was) but regardless, I liked it.

It is narrarated by a woman named Kathy. She reflects on her life at a school called Hailsham. Her friends, teachers, classes. Things that amused her or stood out to her as a child.She talks a lot about a boy named Tommy who is prone to tantrums (but later she and him become close) and her best friend Ruth.
Throughout the whole thing, you just assume that the kids are at some sort of british boarding school. Until it gets to the part of the novel where the kids kind of age out of the school. They go to a place called The Cottages. And that's when you start to GET IT. These aren't normal kids.

All in all, I can say...good. Okay. But I didn't LOVE IT. And this is why. The author is Japanese, and I'm not sure if the book was translated from Japanese. Because sometimes, it got awkward. Like...The Catcher in the Rye is the closest thing I can compare it to. You know how Holden will repeat things? Like he'll say something and then in the very next sentence he repeats it? It's a lot like that. But it doesn't seem to fit the tone of the book.

Also, I'd like to call this a romance novel. I'd really like to. And if it were, I think that it would have left  larger impact on me. If Kathy and Tommy had really, REALLY, been in love, then perhaps I would have loved the book. It would have been touching. Instead it was just another sci-fi distopian...I can't even say thriller. It was very casual. And now that I think about it, that is what kind of made it so sad. Because although they know what will happen to them, they just kind of embrace it.

Overall, I'd give the book an 8/10. It really did end up being a book that makes me kind of think. But it didn't make me cry or anything.

ANYWAY. I thought I'd leave a quick review. Give it a try if you'd like to. I don't regret it. :) And I'm very excited to see the movie. Can I get a 'woot-woot' for Andrew Garfield, anyone?
Okay guys! I'm all done. Have a nice night!

No comments:

Post a Comment